Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Visiting Susy in Sainte-Anne-des-Monts

I went to Sainte-Anne-des-Monts in February when I had a 4 day weekend. SAdM is on the Gaspesie Peninsular. It is reputed for its outstanding natural beauty and is also 13 hours away from where I live! One of the other Assistants, Susy lives there, so I went to visit her! Just before I left, one of the Stagieres at school told me that it is “vraiment perdu”!

I took the coach from St G to Quebec and had to wait 3 hours for another coach to Gaspesie. While I was waiting I spilled yoghurt all over myself (height of sophistication) and also met an Australian guy who is a journalist for an exploring and adventure magazine. He had missed his coach to Charlevoix, which was where I had been the week before and he had been to Ste-Anne last weekend, so we were doing a kind of exchange.

The coach journey was beautiful for the majority of the ride. We drove right alongside the St Lawrence River and had terrific views of the mountains. I arrived quite late at night and Susy met me at the petrol station which is what Quebec uses for a coach station in really rural Quebec. We went to her lovely apartment and made dinner. Then we watched pitch perfect and planned what to do the next day.



The day began with a trip to the cultural centre. There had recently been a driftwood competition so we admired the craftsmanship of the statues that people had made. We went inside and found musical instruments made from driftwood! We then went and played piano for a bit. Susy was amazing….I was not so! She made me try a piece with 3 over 2 (pianists will understand!). We decided to go to a restaurant called Chez Bass which was right on the waterfront! We got there in time for the sunset, but it was slightly clouded over, so we couldn’t really see it. The water was still really pretty though and I realised how much I love being by the water. We also visited a hippy shop which sold gifts and clothes from various places in the world like Thailand.

That evening we went to The Sea Shack, which is one of the coolest places I have ever been to! It is just a bit further East than where Susy lives. We got dropped off on this hidden road and had to walk up and down it to find the entrance to the wooden staircase which leads down to the shack. It was lit by fairy lights and lead all the way down to the beach. There was a spray painted van where people can sleep, a hot tub, a gite and a tepee. We went into the main part and headed to the bar where they were serving cocktails. Every time the big ship bell was rung it meant that someone had bought a round of shots for the whole bar. Everyone was really friendly and everyone spoke to everyone.

The next day we attempted hitch hiking up to the National

Park but we couldn’t get a lift. It was probably just as well as the weather wasn’t totally great. We went to the ski centre instead and did glissade. I had done this once before with Will and Lisa around the time of Anna and Beth’s birthday party but it was fun to do it again on a steeper slope. There wasn’t a chair lift for this slope so we had to walk up! It was hard at first but got easier the more times we did it.


We then went for a walk in the forest but decided that we wouldn’t need snow shoes. Big mistake! As you can see, the snow was knee deep! We walked probably maximum 200 meters before stopping for a lunch of Cheetos and cereal bars and heading back!

We went into the chalet to warm up and on the way we saw a little baby wrapped up in a toboggan! We spoke to the grandfather and he said that this is what they do with their babies because you get sick in winter when you don’t go outside for fresh air.

Inside the chalet there was a lovely open fire which we warmed up beside. After this we went to Chez Bass for dinner again and bumped into Susy’s responsible who was entertaining visitors from BC. In the restaurant there was a picture of all the ship wrecks off Gaspé and a rather amusing picture on the loo door. (It’s from an aria from Faust by Gounod)

We then went to the water front and climbed down onto the frozen sea! We then got told off by a concerned visitor to the town!

The next morning I took the coach back to St Georges just as a big storm was hitting that closed schools in SAdM for a few days. Just as well I left when I did, as lovely as it would have been to have spent more time there.


No comments:

Post a Comment